We talk all things French Open 2021 with Tumaini Carayol; share our thoughts on Naomi Osaka not doing press; give Jo-Wilfried Tsonga his flowers and much more
News round-up Naomi Osaka is not doing any press during her French Open campaign. Tumaini wrote why it’s a shame.
• Osaka (15th – $55.2m) and Serena Williams (44th – $35.5m) are the only women in Sportico’s top 100 highest paid athletes list. Six tennis players in total made the cut.
• Frances Tiafoe’s Eurosport Players’ Voice Column, a year on from George Floyd, talks about the “Rackets down, hands up” video and his dream of taking a Grand Slam trophy back to Sierra Leone.
Events round-up Coco Gauff clean swept in Parma (WTA 250); second WTA singles title (first on clay) and third doubles title overall with Caty McNally. Now at a career-high 25th in the rankings, hence the French Open seeding (24).
• Strasbourg WTA 250 – Venus Williams lost in three sets to Sorana Cirstea in round one. Was in good spirits afterwards, posting about her “cute” outfit.
• Belgrade ATP 250 – Gael Monfils lost a gruelling three-setter to Roberto Carballes Baena. Monfils broke early in the third and had a lead in the tiebreak but could not close it out.
• Parma ATP 250 – Mikael Ymer came through qualifying before losing in the first round to Jaume Munar. Match wasn’t aired even though it was played on Centre Court. Poor!
French Open Women
 Naomi Osaka vs. Patricia Maria Tig
 Serena Williams vs. Irina-Camelia Begu
 Madison Keys vs. Oceane Dodin
 Coco Gauff vs. Aleksandra Krunic
Sloane Stephens vs. Carla Suarez Navarro
Venus Williams vs.  Ekaterina Alexandrova
Heather Watson vs. Zarina Diyas
Jasmine Paolini vs. Stefanie Voegele
Oceane Babel vs.  Elina Svitolina – Babel, the 17-year-old French wildcard, is currently a top-10 junior (7th). She also won the prestigious Banana Bowl in Brazil in March.
Hailey Baptiste vs. Anna Blinkova – The 19-year-old American booked her place in the main draw after coming through qualifying!
French Open Men
 Gael Monfils vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas
 Felix Auger-Aliassime vs. Andreas Seppi
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Yoshihito Nishioka
Frances Tiafoe vs. Steve Johnson
Mikael Ymer vs. Roberto Carballes Baena
Shout out to Arthur Fils! 16-year-old Frenchman beat Bernard Tomic in round one qualifying.